12.31.2008

The Excitement Is Building - Again

Today I found out that my interim Secret clearance has been granted. A preliminary check is done that allows me to get started on the job while the full background investigation is conducted. I'll have access to most things but not all until it's completed.

I keep wondering if I'll be able to post anything about my job or if I'll have to keep this more about island life when I get there? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

It sounds so exotic to me. Secret clearance! Not just anybody gets that do they?

According to About.com:
A security clearance investigation is an inquiry into an individual’s loyalty, character, trustworthiness and reliability to ensure that he or she is eligible for access to national security information. The investigation focuses on an individual’s character and conduct, emphasizing such factors as honesty, trustworthiness, reliability, financial responsibility, criminal activity, emotional stability, and other similar and pertinent areas. All investigations consist of checks of national records and credit checks; some investigations also include interviews with individuals who know the candidate for the clearance as well as the candidate himself/herself.

Again, JF thinks I'm silly. Just because I have the clearance doesn't mean I'll actually see or do anything secret. That's fine, it still sounds cool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you having a secret identity over here, Mata Hari? Such a clearance will always look good on any Curriculum Vitae.

Anonymous said...

I followed you back here and I can't wait to catch up. I have to admit, I've never even heard of Kwajalein, but it's tropical and I'm freezin' my arse off right now...so it sounds heavenly! Also, I love anything having to do with secret high powered information. Surely, you can slip us some top level info without the powers that be finding out. I promise, I won't tell anyone!

Unknown said...

A SECRET (security clearances are always capitalized :))will only clear you up to that level and then only if you have 'the need to know' that information.

I once had a SECRET clearance for some work I was doing remapping the Alternate Joint Communication Center at Raven Rock Mountain ('Site R') about 10 years ago. Even though we had unprecedented access to the facility, certain areas had to be 'sanitized' before we came in and took measurements.