1.10.2009

First The Cat, Then Me

Today I took the cat in to get all of his necessary procedures done in order to apply for the Marshall Islands Pet Importation Permit. I have a whole lot of papers for tests, microchips, vaccinations etc. that I have to send to my representative on the island so he can apply for the permit for me. Once he gets it, he has to send it to me so I can transport the cat with it.

I have to go back to the vet within 10 days of leaving for the island and have the cat examined one more time, he'll be treated for fleas and de-wormed whether he needs it or not and then we'll be done. Whew.

I'm curious to know why they go through such a process. Is it because domestic pets can infect the native animals? Or because the environment is such that all diseases and parasites would run rampant on the island? It seems like a bit much but hey....whatever it takes.

I'm next. My physical is on Monday. I'm sure it will be similar to what the cat just went through. Blood tests, exams; hopefully I won't get microchipped though...or de-wormed.

No comments: