2.01.2009

Tickets In Hand

I now have the plane tickets in my hand. I will be leaving from the Portland, OR airport on the 15th of February. There are a couple of reasons for leaving from Portland rather than from the local airport here. The main reason is the cat. And the other is so that I can see my Mom before I head out.

I was fortunate enough to get some advice from someone who recently transported their cat with them to Kwajalein. The more times you transfer planes the more difficult it is. The smaller the planes you fly on, the more difficult it is. Unfortunately the largest plane out of Helena is not much bigger than a bus and I was looking at at a minimum of 4 plane changes from here to Hawaii. After doing some checking, I found I could get one large plane from Portland to Hawaii with no extra stops. Since my Mom lives in Portland, I thought I could kill two birds with one stone.

This requires that I drive 10 hours from here to Portland but I've done that enough times and it adds to the adventure. I've never done it with a cat though, that adds an interesting factor to the mix. My little buddy is in for the adventure of his life too.

So, Friday the 13th (ironic huh?) at 8am JF will drop me off at the car rental place and I'll be off on my Kwajalein Adventure!

The 14th will be spent visiting with my Mom and then I'll fly from Portland to Honolulu on the 15th. I'm going to have about 12 hours in Hawaii before I take off on the final leg of the flight to Kwaj. My arrival will be noon on the 17th but they are a day ahead so technically I'll be there on the 16th. I'm curious how that time discrepancy is going to affect me. It's 5 hours earlier than at home so it won't be noon on the 17th but 5pm on the 16th to me.

5 comments:

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I still can't believe you don't LOVE my Morbid Monday posts!!

(hee hee!) :)

Hallie

Rebecca said...

LOVE, no appreciate....kind of.
I figured fair warning is in order since I didn't get it.
:)

Anonymous said...

Oh 12 hours in Honolulu! Any plans? I used to live there. Will they let you out of the airport with your cat?

Rebecca said...

The cat has to stay in quarantine but I'm hoping I get to leave the airport!

I'm not sure what to do, I'll be staying at the airport hotel so I'll have to find something close by.
Any ideas?

I've never been to Hawaii before.

Anonymous said...

The first thing that comes to mind is the Ala Moana Park. I always loved to take a nap there under a palm tree listening to the wind and the waves. There's also food at the Ala Moana shopping center. You should be able to catch a hotel shuttle. Just pretend you're planning on staying at their hotel. Or take a shuttle service if you feel honest.