3.09.2009

Crabs And Sunburns - A Typical Day at the Beach

Today I went out to explore the island in search of a not too crowded beach. There are only a few very small actual sandy beaches here so on the weekends finding one that's not overrun is a bit of a challenge.

I did manage to find one with no one on it on the industrial end of the island. I don't know who's been hanging out there but it was covered in trash and then there was this:
Toilet? Are you kidding?
You don't see that everyday, and I'm pretty glad about that.

I saw lots of crabs today. I saw more than I was able to get pictures of but here are a few:
Crab
Crab digging
Tiny crab
Another crab
Dead crab
These white birds are everywhere.
Terns
I've heard them called Fairy Terns and White Terns but the story is the same, they mate for life and they lay their eggs right on the branch, no nest, just a crook in the branch. Sometimes they roll off. :(

I tried really hard to keep covered in sunscreen. I'm still pretty white. I'm not Montana white anymore but white none-the-less and I need to keep covered. I did pretty good but I have a couple of odd, random burns in spots I missed. It's inevitable with me.

Here's me enjoying the sun before I got burned:
Happy feet

And here is a random shot showing the wind on the ocean side of the island:
Windy beach

3 comments:

NJGirlinCO said...

Keep that sunscreen on! Sounds like you are doing well. Your photos are so soothing, thanks. I lived on Kwajalein in the early 60's. Nice to hear about your little escape!

Blogger said...

So gorgeous! My family used to do a week long camping trip on the beach when I was little, and your crab pictures reminded me of how much fun I used to have watching them.

Freedom said...

"Crabs and Sunburns" sounds like a the results of a bad collage spring break.