5.12.2009

Newest Adventure

As you all know from my posts, I've been out on several of the Beer Can sailboat races and one evening I got to go out for a short evening cruise with some friends on a smaller sailboat. I enjoy it very much. I haven't said no to a sailing offer yet!

Back home, I was introduced to wake boarding and boating and was lucky enough that someone taught me the whole process of trailering, untrailering, getting the boat ready, maintenance, towing the skier/boarder. I like being useful and when necessary, I want to be able to do it myself. I can trailer a boat and be out of the way in about 5 minutes.

So it seems natural to me to now be taking sailing lessons. If I'm going to be out there, I want to know what I'm doing. As captain or crew I want to be fully functional.

I've taken two sailing lessons so far and I love it. The first time I was shaking like a leaf for the first 45 minutes. We went through all the points of sail and did some tacks and jibes; I ran the tiller. Today we did some docking practice and managed to catch the mooring when we were done but barely.

The boat we are using is called a CAL 20. It's 20 feet long and very responsive. A great boat to learn on for sure. In some of the races I've been in the boats are much larger and there isn't as much "action". (My word, not an official term) It seems there is less adjusting and maneuvering and definitely less bobbing around. I am so excited to get good at this. It is so much fun.

I'll keep you posted and try to get a picture posted of me as captain!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How much does it cost for you to take the sailing lessons? I have taken them in the past but am excited about getting back on the water when I get out there. I should be arriving the first week of August