1.20.2010

Quick Trip To Hawaii

This weekend I went to Hawaii. It was my first trip back to the States in 11 months. I was pretty sure that the traffic and insane amount of people (compared to the 1300 or so on Kwaj) was going to drive me crazy and make me want to run right back to my secluded little island and hide. It did not. In fact I really enjoyed being there, I had a great time and I'm ready to go back to "the real world".

I think one of the things I enjoyed most was the options available to me. While I never seem to lack for something to do on the island, the choices are pretty limited. It makes you feel a little more free when your options are unhindered. I also felt more independent and in control. In the States, my choices directly affect my quality of life. On the island, my quality of life is managed by the choices of other people, people who are trying to keep costs down and while they may be providing basic human services, there are a lot of services and supplies that we do not have access to.

It's a running joke here that we live in "Almost Paradise". It's very true. Yes, the environment is beautiful but there are a lot of other factors that make our standard of living low compared to the rest of the world.

While in Hawaii we went snorkeling with sharks. The company that we signed up with made us sign a waiver that we would not post any pictures taken during the tour on any social media or blogs so I won't be able to show you how cool it was. All I've got to say is that it was really a great experience. We got up close and face to face with sandbar sharks. Some of them were pretty big. The water was very clear and deep; the sharks would just sort of materialize in front of you as they swam out of the deep water into your field of vision. It was a great experience.

The other main activity for the weekend was a helicopter tour of the island with Genesis Aviation. the chopper we went on didn't have any doors, that was a very exciting ride! It was an absolutely gorgeous day, clear and sunny so we got to see everything clearly. We took the Waimea Tour which was an hour long tour. If you ever decide to do this tour, I would suggest doing it at the beginning of your trip. The pilot was able to point out a lot of places that we might want to visit on the ground from the air, things you might not have discovered on your own or found without seeing it from above first.

Suffice it to say I had a really good break, and it was time. I'm already looking forward to my next vacation, hopefully in the May/June time frame. In the meantime, I'm going to try to make sure I take my little sailboat out a lot more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aloha!