1.09.2011

Winding Down

Well, for those of you that have been following along, you know that I've almost completed my contract and it's time to start thinking about what to do next.

My original contract would have ended in February but when I got promoted and my status changed to accompanied, I was required to sign a year contract extension which makes my new contract end date April 15th.

A few days ago, I received a letter from HR stating that I was eleigible for re-contracting and I currently have three choices:
  • Sign up for one more year which would make it April 2012
  • Switch to rolling 90 day contracts, which means I can leave at any time as long as 90 days notice is provided
  • Terminate my contract on the original agreed upon date, April 2011
I have to make this decision before February 14th.

At this moment in time, I am ready to go.

It's been fun here, it's nice to know I have a guaranteed job (although we did have a round of layoffs), I'll really miss the 12 hours of daylight every day and the beautiful, beautiful landscape. I have to admit though, there are times when the lack of seasonal changes and the inability to get away can be frustrating and boring.

I spoke with HR to discuss these options and the rolling 90 day contracts offer the most flexibility but they are still tricky. If I did that, the next soonest date I could leave would be July. And I haven't figured out how to arrange for a new job that will wait until your 90 days is up to hire you. Getting off the island almost seems as hard as getting on, unless you just call it good when your contract ends, job or no job lined up.

We'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you are ready to leave but I will miss reading about your adventure.

Anonymous said...

Tough Call. I recently left the island and I really miss it. If you are saving money and have a house then I would stick it out for another year until you have something better lined up. With your skill set the real world will always be waiting for you but you only have so many Kwajalein Sunsets!

Best of Luck!